Organization: US Quidditch
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Remote Opportunity / Location Negotiable
Description: US Quidditch (USQ) is the national governing body for the sport of quidditch. USQ advances the sport by organizing events and programs that build community and empower all genders to compete together. A 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2010, US Quidditch serves nearly 4,000 athletes on over 150 teams nationwide and provides a range of programs and services. These include hosting regional and national championships; supervising regular season competition; supporting and certifying referees, snitches, and tournament directors; offering grants; and working to expand the sport into younger age groups through outreach programs at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.
Purpose and Role: USQ seeks an Executive Director who is an experienced nonprofit leader with a passion for promoting inclusivity in sports and an understanding of the important role competition and community play in the lives of individuals of all ages.
Key areas of responsibility: The ED is responsible for the ultimate success and growth of USQ, including but not limited to:
- Leadership and Operations
- Oversee all aspects of USQ operations and work closely with Board of Directors to further initiatives outlined in strategic plan.
- Effectively communicate USQ’s mission, vision and values with members and vested stakeholders throughout the United States.
- Implement existing strategic plan for the organization and create additional future strategic plans.
- Set objectives and key results with paid staff and ensure staff meets quarterly goals.
- Strengthen organizational systems and infrastructure to support the overall growth and further mission reach.
- Work closely with staff to ensure that USQ’s membership programs, events and trainings are successful and reflect USQ’s mission, vision and values.
- Directly assist with operational projects as needed, including on-site hands on event management and logistics.
- Continually look for ways to incorporate more efficient operating practices.
- Staff Development and Supervision
- Provide leadership and staff supervision and development to a remote team of direct reports, currently with 3 full time employees and additional volunteer coordinators.
- Develop and promote a member-focused staff culture based on relationship building and active listening.
- Ensure that all personnel policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Maintain current job descriptions, complete timely performance evaluations of all staff, and ensure that payroll and personnel information is accurate and submitted on a timely basis.
- Develop, implement, and maintain personal development and recognition plans for staff.
- Oversee management and engagement of year-round volunteers within the league.
- Financial Development and Fiscal Management
- Ensure financial viability of the organization through member dues, event fees, fundraising and training programs.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to set a strategy to engage community partners and donors.
- Work with the Board of Directors and staff to create annual fundraising campaign and fund development plan.
- Implement strategies to grow membership program enrollment through successful marketing campaigns, high-quality programs, and great member service.
- Create and maintain the league’s budget and financial records and display a high level of fiscal competence through accurate forecasting and variance reporting.
- Membership and Expansion
- Ensure that member experience is at the center of USQ’s priorities.
- Identify and engage with leaders and groups within the community.
- Work with the USQ Membership Department to grow and expand the sport of quidditch.
- React to and evaluate opportunities for the growth of quidditch. Analyze and recommend other mechanisms for USQ to expand its influence.
- Board Relations
- Provide staff support and leadership to Board of Directors.
- Cultivate new board members and develop effective committees, or task forces, to support board objectives.
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Clearly communicate USQ financial and operational status to Board.
- Be the face of USQ and act as a primary liaison for media.
- Conduct media interviews on behalf of the organization..
- Assist in setting the public relations strategies and communications goals of the organization, including press releases and other media relations.
Required Experience and Skills: The ideal candidate will be experienced in the Key Areas of Responsibility, listed above and possess the following experiences, skills, and attributes to guide the organization into its next phase:
- Experienced leader able to positively lead staff and volunteer teams through transformational change
- Extensive experience in nonprofit infrastructure and governance
- Proven record of successful fund development
- History of scaling a concept, mission or business
- Strong fiscal management skills
- Experience with hands on financial and operational duties of a small non-profit
- Experience with team sports
- Experience in events management, preferably sporting events or similar
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Desire and drive to improve program quality and impact
- Strong work ethic
- Highly versed in social media and a high aptitude for technology
- Self starter, able to work comfortably with remote staff who are around the country
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Three or more years in organizational management, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Three or more years of leadership experience, preferably within a sports organization
- Passion for gender equity, including supporting the LGBTQ community
- Appreciation and understanding of sports leagues
- Ability to travel throughout the United States
Submission: A summary of qualifications and a cover letter including a personal statement expressing how USQ aligns with your personal and professional goals. Please email applications to email@example.com.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $55,000 – $65,000 depending on experience
Paid Time Off: 20 days per year
Paid Holidays: 10
Professional Development: $500 annual allowance
Candidates who submit applications by August 26, 2019 will receive priority consideration. In-person interviews will take place between late September and early October with an anticipated start date in fall 2019.