US Quidditch (USQ)
Organization: US Quidditch
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Location Negotiable/ Remote Opportunity
Description: US Quidditch (USQ) is the national governing body for the sport of quidditch. A 501(c)3 nonprofit, USQ advances the sport by organizing events and programs that build community and empower all genders to compete together. Inspired by the Harry Potter novels and founded in 2010, USQ serves over 4,000 athletes on almost 200 teams nationwide. The organization provides a range of services, from hosting nine major tournaments and supervising regular season competition, to training and certifying officials and tournament directors, offering grants to teams and working to expand the sport into younger age groups through outreach programs at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.
Purpose and Role: USQ seeks an Executive Director who is an experienced nonprofit leader with a passion for promoting inclusivity in sports and an understanding of the important role competition and community play in the lives of individuals of all ages.
Key areas of responsibility: The ED is responsible for the ultimate success and growth of USQ, including but not limited to:
- Leadership & Communication: Oversee all aspects of USQ operations and work closely with Board of Directors to further initiatives outlined in strategic plan. Effectively communicate USQ’s mission, vision and values with members and vested stakeholders throughout the United States.
- Staff Development & Supervision: Provide leadership and staff supervision and development to a remote team of up to three direct reports within a current combined staff team of 3 FTE and up to 5 volunteer coordinators.
- Financial & Operational Management: Ensure financial viability of the organization through member dues, event fees, fundraising and training programs. Work closely with staff to ensure that USQ’s membership programs, events and trainings are successful and reflect USQ’s mission, vision and values.
- Board Relations: Provide staff support and leadership to Board of Directors. Cultivate new board members and develop effective committees, or task forces, to support board objectives. Clearly communicate USQ financial and operational status to Board.
- Organizational Development: Strengthen organizational systems and infrastructure to support the overall growth and further mission reach.
- Fund Development: In partnership with the Board of Directors, develop and implement a fund development plan. While USQ has a history of strong membership, event and volunteer participation, fundraising opportunities have not yet been fully explored.
Required Experience and Skills: The ideal candidate will be experienced in the Key Areas of Responsibility, listed above and possess the following experiences, skills and attributes to guide the organization into its next phase:
- Experienced leader able to positively lead staff and volunteer teams through transformational change
- Extensive experience in nonprofit infrastructure and governance
- Proven record of successful fund development
- History of scaling a concept, mission or business
- Strong fiscal management skills
- Experience with hands on financial and operational duties of a small non-profit
- Experience with team sports
- Experience in events management, preferably sporting events or similar
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Desire and drive to improve program quality and impact
- Strong work ethic
- Highly versed in social media and a high aptitude for technology
- Self starter, able to work comfortably with remote staff who are around the country
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Three or more years in organizational management, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Three or more years of leadership experience, preferably within a sports organization
- Passion for gender equality, including supporting the LGBTQ community
- Appreciation and understanding of sports leagues
- Ability to travel throughout the United States
Submission: A summary of qualifications and a cover letter including a personal statement expressing how USQ aligns with your personal and professional goals.
Please email resume and three professional references to email@example.com.
Compensation: $55,000 – $65,000
Paid Time Off: 20 days per year
Paid Holidays: 9
Professional Development: $500 annual allowance
Timeline: Position to be filled by June 15
Resume Deadline May 15, 2016