Updates on spring regionals and US Quidditch Cup 14, plus reminders on return to play guidelines.
Since October, teams have been able to move through return to play stages independently based on their own state’s COVID-19 case numbers. As cases of COVID-19 surge around the country, USQ has made some adjustments to our plans for the first part of 2021.
USQ staff have determined that official and sanctioned events may not begin until February 1, 2021, at the earliest. We strongly recommend that teams stop all in-person activities through the end of 2020. The next update on COVID-19 restrictions, including if official and sanctioned events may be allowed later in the season, will happen in mid to late January 2021.
2021 spring regional championships, originally set for February 13-14 (South), February 20-21 (Southwest), and February 27-28 (West), have been cancelled.
This decision was made after conversations with risk management, regional coordinators, and city partners.
“The risk management team is staying up to date with the latest COVID-19 developments. Our primary concern is the health and well being of our community and loved ones. While the news about the effectiveness of recently developed vaccines is encouraging, it is important to remember that a vaccine is not widely available yet and we must continue to follow safety protocols,” said Risk Management Coordinator Rebecca Martin.
As of now, US Quidditch Cup 14 is still on the calendar for April 17-18, 2021 in Salt Lake City, UT. However, nationals will now be open registration with no gameplay requirements.
"The gameplay department has been working through several tournament structure options to provide the best possible experience to teams able to attend. An open nationals requires different format considerations, but can be an opportunity to create a new, valuable tournament experience for teams," said Gameplay Coordinator Sarah Kneiling.
In December and January, regional coordinators will be helping determine the status of teams for the spring, and what restrictions there might be for them. These updates will help further determine feasibility of nationals along with other potential spring events.
Executive Director Mary Kimball and Director of Events & Partnerships Laura Porth will continue to work with the city and USQ’s risk management team to determine feasibility of events based on safety.
The goal is to make a determination on nationals no later than the final week of January 2021, for when we release our next update on COVID-19 restrictions.
A new resource, developed by Web Development Coordinator Kevin Raber, is available on the USQ website to help teams quickly identify if they can move to stage 3 and beyond. That resource is available here and will also be added to all USQ COVID-19 resources and webpages.
Basic Requirements for Teams
As you begin to make plans for the holiday season, please keep state/local restrictions in mind. Your safety and the safety of others is of the utmost importance. If your team chooses to have in-person events in December, remember to take into consideration where teammates may have spent their Thanksgiving holiday. In most parts of the country, it is not safe to have large indoor gatherings with people outside your own household. Those who participate in this kind of social event may need to self-isolate for at least 2 weeks before attending any team in-person events, and/or take a COVID-19 test.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers general guidelines and recommendations for the public on how to limit the spread of COVID-19. They currently include: