Become a Snitch
LOOK GOOD WEARING GOLD!
Our sport relies on a number of officials in order to function properly. Along with referees, every game includes a snitch runner. The snitch runner is neutral athlete and official dressed in yellow, whose job it is to remain fair to both teams while avoiding capture for as long as possible.
CERTIFIED SNITCH DATABASE
The snitch runner database is available here.
SNITCH MEMBERSHIP - $0
- To become a member, click on the link here
- Register if you do not have account. Log-in if you do
- Click on ‘Membership’
- Click on ‘Upgrade Your Membership’ and fill out the information as directed for 'snitch runner' membership.
USQ TIERED SNITCH RUNNER CERTIFICATION
The tiered snitch runner certification program aims to clearly distinguish the skill and certification of snitch runners. Differing from other seasons, a snitch runner is certified after completing certification assessments and upgrading their membership. No field test is required to become certified this season. Certified snitch runners are paid $8/official game.
All snitch runners are assigned a tier immediately upon certification, beginning with tier 5. Tiers can be reassessed throughout the season as additional film or field tests take place. Tiers are also subject to change throughout the season outside of the formal assessments pending performance and evaluations. All tiered snitches have displayed an understanding of the rules and requirements of officiating a game as a snitch runner.
Tier 5 snitches have only completed the requirements of the two steps listed below to officiate an official USQ game, but have not been reviewed by any proctor on their snitching ability. Snitches with tier 1-4 have been judged based on snitching ability by snitch proctors (either by video footage or in-person field test) and granted a tier. Tier 1 is the highest tier and tier 5 is the lowest.
SNITCH RUNNER CERTIFICATION
There are two steps to becoming a tier 5 certified snitch runner. All two steps must be completed in the order outlined below:
- Pass the Assistant Referee (AR) certification test and Snitch Rules (SR) test
- After you pass both AR and SR tests: Upgrade USQ account with a snitch runner membership (free)
Certified snitch runners are not required for official matches with the exception of regional championships and US Quidditch Cup.
To serve as a snitch runner at a USQ-hosted event, all certification requirements must be completed at least 24 hours before the scheduled event.
Once a snitch runner has become certified, they may undergo an evaluation by a snitch proctor. Passing this evaluation advances a snitch runner from tier 5 to tier 1-4 based on result. Evaluations can be conducted in person by a snitch proctor or virtually by submitting game film for review. Game film can be submitted through this form.
SNITCH VIDEO SUBMISSION FOR TIER 1-4 CERTIFICATION
Snitch candidates may submit videos on a rolling basis. You may submit any number of videos via this form. Snitch proctors will review your footage and provide feedback.
Submitted videos must display the following characteristics:
- Film of the entire snitch’s body, from the third person perspective. Snitch runners may not hold or wear the camera on themselves.
- Game film (scrimmages and fantasy tournaments included). Practice film will be accepted for anytime since US Quidditch Cup 12. The game does not need to be official, but does need to be officiated by a referee crew that meets the guidelines of a USQ or MLQ official game, have a score, and end with a snitch catch.
- Your film should be as recent as possible, ideally from the current season or most recent MLQ season
- USQ snitch team reserves the right to request replacement footage at any time.
After submitting film, applicants can expect to receive a response within 2 weeks of submission. If an applicant does not pass, new film can be submitted for a new evaluation at any time. Film evaluation will include, but is not limited to:
- Field awareness
- Evasion techniques
- Safety on pitch
- Body movement and reflexes
- Knowledge of rules and regulations
All members applying for tier advancement will receive a detailed response from the snitch team on their film with constructive criticism.
SNITCH FIELD TESTING
Those who would like to request an in-person field test can do so by signing-up here. In person field tests can take place at any tournament listed on the form, or can also be requested at a USQ Regional Championship. Field tests are not guaranteed at any event, the tournament director has jurisdiction as to whether they can schedule the test appropriately.
Snitch runners are not paid for their field tests. The snitch field test proctor will receive $8, even if the game is unofficial.
SNITCH FIELD TEST PROCTOR
If interested in becoming a snitch field test proctor, please email email@example.com.
At USQ-hosted events, event staff will prioritize using snitch runners with a higher tier. Snitch runners who wish to have their tier reevaluated in advance of a USQ-hosted event should submit new game film at least two weeks prior to the event.
Snitches are not eligible for tier advancement or officiating at USQ hosted events without becoming a certified snitch (process outlined above).