Become a Snitch
Look good wearing gold!
Our sport relies on a number of athletic and intelligent individuals in order to function properly. Along with referees and players each match requires a highly skilled and entertaining snitch. The job of the snitch is to keep the snitch tail safe from the grasp of each team’s seeker while also maintaining a humorous and fun atmosphere. Snitching can be the most exciting position on a quidditch pitch, but it can also be the most difficult.
This year USQ is proud to announce a new certification process for snitch runners. While certified snitches are not required for an official, ranked match, it is highly recommended.
Snitches can now register for a free snitch membership! We encourage all snitches to do so in order to receive communication about regular opportunities for events and development, and to be eligible for compensation.
If you are interested in participating in an in-person snitch development session, please fill out this interest form.
Certified Snitch Database
Official games are not required to use certified snitch runners. However, in the interest of expanding the snitch runner certification program, USQ will prioritize scheduling certified snitch runners over non-certified snitch runners at our regional and national championships. Any official games using a certified snitch runner must compensate the snitch runner in order for the games to count as official. Snitch runners must register for the free snitch membership in order to be certified. To become a certified snitch runner, you have to complete the following steps:
- Pass the written Snitch Runner Certification test
- Complete field test certification - This field test can be accomplished by emailing video footage of yourself snitching in-game, or being observed by a member of the Snitch Development Team or other Snitch Field Test Proctor. During field testing, the proctor is paid a certified snitch's rate of $8/game.
1. Watch the snitch safety course and complete a short certification quiz. This step is designed to be completed in one sitting in under 45 minutes.
2. Snitch candidates may now submit videos on a rolling basis. You may submit any number of videos via Youtube (or a similar hosting service) to email@example.com. The snitch coordinators will review your footage and let you know if they would like to see more videos from you, or if there are a few areas on which you need to improve.
Submitted videos must display the following characteristics:
- For your first video submission, please submit a game in which you are not heavily guarded by a seeker. We want to see your skills!
- Film of the entire snitch’s body, from the third person perspective. A snitch ref wearing a gopro camera is perfectly acceptable, while a gopro camera on the snitch themself, is not.
- Game film (scrimmages and fantasy tournaments included), not drill or practice film. The game does not need to be official but does need to be officiated by at least a head ref and a snitch ref, have a score, and end with a snitch catch.
- Your first film must be from the current season; subsequent films may be from either the current season or the previous season.
- USQ snitch coordinators reserve the right to request replacement footage at any time.
After submitting the films, applicants can expect to receive a response within 2-4 weeks of submission. If you do not pass, the assessment may be completed again at any time, with the submission of two new films that were not previously submitted. Items to be evaluated include, but are not limited to:
- field awareness
- evasion techniques
- safety on pitch
- body movement and reflexes
- knowledge of rules and regulations
All members applying for certification will receive a detailed response from the Snitch Development Team on their films for what they did well on and what they can improve.
Snitch runners are paid at a rate of $8/game. Snitch field test proctors are paid the same rate for each game they observe, in place of the snitch runner payment.
Once you successfully complete these steps, you will be officially certified for snitch glory!
If you would like to receive your snitch certification before your regional championship tournament, please send in your videos 2-3 weeks before. Individuals hoping to receive certification before the USQ Cup should submit their videos at least two weeks in advance.
Remember that the certification process is not complete without also passing the written test and watching the safety course.