Equipment & Apparel
Before a captain or founder can start getting people together for a game, they need to acquire the bare minimum pieces of equipment. Teams with more funding or support should skip ahead for more advanced equipment. But for the captains who must improvise at the beginning, the following items are recommended.
- Simple goal hoops (6) – Duct-tape a hula hoop to the top of a large and readily available object (example: dorm or classroom chairs) or hang hula hoops from soccer goals (with permission first of course).
- Volleyball (1) – Semi-deflated to the point that it can be easily gripped with one hand but still round enough to throw and pass with accuracy. We recommend Baden Match Point brand, which you can find by clicking here.
- Dodgeballs (3) – Same condition as volleyball. 8.5 inch diameter is preferred. We recommend Champion Sports brand, which you can find either a package of 6 by clicking here, or single ones by clicking here.
- Snitch sock and shorts (1) – A long sock with a tennis ball in the bottom, tucked into shorts that can be drawn up tightly with a string. Yellow clothing is recommended.
- Brooms (14) – These are the hardest things to acquire at first for little to no cost. Here are some options:
- B.Y.O.B. – In the interest of getting a game going, you can tell players to bring their own brooms. This approach can limit your turnout, but has the benefit of widening the range of what is acceptable as a “broom-like implement.” Players have turned up with old-fashioned mops, new-fashioned Swiffers, lengths of PVC pipe of the correct length, pool noodles, long sticks, etc. With a little creativity, anything can become a “broom,” no money required… but remember safety first! We recommend suggesting PVC pipes or sticks, so that the broom is as close to regulation as possible - no broom bristles or wooden broomsticks!
Once any team has a few games or even a season of play under their belt and some funding acquired, it should think about upgrading and acquiring new equipment. Recommended (in order of importance):
- Headbands – Enough for two teams: yellow (2), white (6), black (4), green (2). These serve to distinguish one player from the other and make life easier for teammates and referees. See the rulebook for details.
- Referee jerseys (3) and whistles – Self-explanatory. USQ referees prefer Fox 40 whistles, which are hard to miss when you hear them.
- New goal hoops (6) – USQ players and teams have built a wide array of designs. These designs are relatively inexpensive ($100 - $200 for a full set) and are durable, relatively portable, and good-looking to boot. These will increase the legitimacy of the game in any community and increase the playing abilities and enjoyment of all players. Check our our supplier list below!
- Handcrafted brooms (14) – Household brooms or cheaper brooms at hardware stores tend to be heavier, more awkward to handle, and less durable. Teams are encouraged to find, test, and acquire handmade or sturdier playing brooms that are lighter and shorter. You can purchase broom making supplies at a hardware store - look for PVC pipe and PVC end-caps. There are various companies that can be found below that produce and manufacture handcrafted brooms that work better for the game of quidditch and, just as with the hoops, increase the game’s visual presence.
- Lacrosse goggles and mouthguards – Self-explanatory. Mouthguards are required for official play, and should be provided on an individual basis by players.
- Three-digit scoreboard (1) – These are simple, hand-operated scoreboards with flip cards that are flipped over a wooden, plastic, or metal board to change numbers. They should have six digits side-by-side, with three in one color, and three in another, large enough to see from all sides of a pitch (roughly two-three feet in width and up to one foot in height).
- Megaphone – 500 yard megaphones are recommended. They generally require a large supply of batteries.
EQUIPMENT & Apparel SUPPLIERS
- Uncle Sam's Brooms
- US Games - Various Equipment
- Vietnam Quidditch Association - Snitch Shorts/Various Equipment
- Victoria Quidditch - Snitch Shorts
- Individual Equipment Suppliers - Various Equipment
- Quaffle: Baden Match Point
- Bludger: Champion Sports, 8.5", Set of 6
- Bludger: Champion Sports, 8.5", Single
- Clubhouse Athletics
- Custom Rugby Jerseys
- Geffner USA
- Jersey Rack
- Row West
- Savage Apparel Co.
- Trinity Quidditch
- Triple Ring Quidditch
- University Customs
- Utility Apparel
- Instructables - Easy Quidditch Hoops (Brian LaRue)
- DIY Easy Quidditch Hoops
- Quidditch Hoop Construction Manual
- How to Sew Snitch Shorts Video
- Field Lining Diagram
EQUIPMENT OPEN CALL
Anyone who is currently making quidditch equipment or has an interest in making equipment in the future, please fill out this form. Anyone with available resources that they would like to share–videos, guides, graphics–please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All equipment resources & suppliers are submitted by the community - USQ is not responsible for the contents and cannot vouch for accuracy and quality of these products or instructions.