US Quidditch is proud to offer event sanctioning to standardize tournament play, provide a higher standard of quality and safety for players nationwide, and encourage the growth of the sport. Sanctioned events are eligible to receive insurance coverage from USQ as well as financial support grants.
TO APPLY FOR EVENT SANCTIONING, CLICK HERE.
USQ and Quidditch Canada members may attend USQ-sanctioned events for free. Non-members must pay $10 per person to attend a sanctioned event, which may be paid using the button on the left sidebar of this page. All official matches, including non-sanctioned events that meet the criteria for official matches, are covered under USQ's accident insurance policy. However, Quidditch Canada members will not be covered unless they pay the $10 per person registration fee.
If you choose to also include circuit opportunities at your event, only USQ adult club members can participate in those games. To learn more about circuit events, click here.
For a sanctioned event, USQ is happy to provide the following, upon request:
- Insurance coverage – Certificate of insurance (COI) that provides proof of insurance for a facility, city, park and recreation district, etc. Naming an entity as additional insured may be available upon request. Please note that we will have to review specific insurance requests and may not be able to fulfill all insurance requirements.
- USQ social media marketing and advertising for the event, including press contacts to promote event
- Financial support in the form of grants, on a case-by-case basis
- Assistance in additional planning aspects as requested
- For those events with unofficial teams, a list of all participants.
- Certified head referees ($20/game) and certified lead assistant referees ($10/game) paid the standard league fee for all games, including unofficial matches
- For unofficial matches involving Quidditch Canada teams or players, including fantasy tournaments featuring both American and Canadian players, we will accept QC head referee certification in lieu of USQ head referee certification. Lead assistant referees will still be required. QC referees need to have passed the written QC assistant referee, snitch referee, and head referee tests to serve in the LAR role. Certified HRs and LARs must still be paid the standard league fee for these games.
- If used, certified snitch runners paid the standard league fee for all games ($8/game), including unofficial matches
- Facility for event including: high quality playing fields (soft turf or grass), clear field demarcation, ample on-site water, access to bathrooms, and food on-site or nearby
- Professional, nonplaying medical staff onsite. Medical staff must be dedicated and designated in their role for the entirety of the tournament. Also, an overall injury report must be submitted after the event.
- Standard and safe equipment: hoops, brooms, balls, and clear scoreboards
- Logical gameplay procedures: overall structure, pool assignment, bracket seeding, tiebreaker mechanism
- Schedule released at least one week in advance: gameplay, referees, snitches, and other volunteers
- All tournament essentials (including those listed above) reserved and confirmed a reasonable amount of time before the tournament date. USQ is happy to provide support in securing the essentials described above, given reasonable notice.
To apply to have a tournament sanctioned by USQ, the tournament director must submit an application no later than one month in advance of the event, though applications received after that point will be considered on a case by case basis. After submitting the form below, the TD(s) will receive an email to set up an interview with USQ staff. The interview will take 30-60 minutes and consist of reviewing the application and event, going over the event sanctioning program in general, and answering any questions the TD(s) may have.
Financial support grants are prioritized towards events that align with these goals from USQ’s strategic plan:
- Expand competitive opportunities for all USQ members
- Increase safety of all participants in quidditch
- Foster organized and sustainable youth play
- Promote opportunities for experienced teams to mentor new teams
- Foster the growth of more volunteers and officials.
If financial support is requested, applications must be received by the following dates:
- For events September 15-October 31: pending depending on when official games and sanctioned events are starting up
- Grant awards will be done in September or October, depending on when activities resume.
- For events November 1-December 31: September 12, 2020
- Grants will be awarded starting the week of September 16.
- For events January 1-February 28: November 14, 2020
- Grants will be awarded starting the week of November 18.
- For events March 1-April 30: January 16, 2021
- Grants will be awarded starting the week of January 20.
For best consideration, TDs are encouraged to submit their sanctioning application as early as possible.
Please note that there is limited financial support available for events outside of the September 15-April 30 time frame, and applicants hosting events between May 1 and September 14 are encouraged to apply at least three months in advance.
If approved for sanctioning, a full event budget must be submitted to USQ no later than two weeks in advance of the event.
If financial support is requested, a full itemized event budget, including both expenses and revenue, must be submitted with the application along with a statement of need and purpose for the requested funds, specifying the amount of funding requested. Financial support provided by USQ is intended to be supplementary funding. It should not replace other primary sources of funding, including team accounts, registration fees, and local donations, though events focused on new teams may use the funds to lower the cost of participation. Funds are awarded based upon available regional funding, evidence of need, and quality of proposal. Typical awards of financial support range from $150-$250. Grants in the amount of $300 may be approved on a case by case basis.
TO APPLY FOR EVENT SANCTIONING, CLICK HERE.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019-10 SANCTIONED EVENTS
|West Fantasy 2019||August 24, 2019||West|
|Turtle Cup IX||September 28, 2019||Mid-Atlantic|
|Crimson Cup VI||September 28, 2019||West|
|Oktoberfest Invitational||October 5, 2019||Northeast|
|Neverland Classic||October 12, 2019||West|
|Nittany Invitational||October 12, 2019||Mid-Atlantic|
|Cavalier Cup||October 12, 2019||Mid-Atlantic|
|Second Annual Chicago United Invitational II||October 19, 2019||Midwest|
|Thermopylae Cup III||October 19, 2019||Southwest|
|Diamond Cup VII||October 19, 2019||Southwest|
|California Classic 2019||October 26, 2019||West|
|NorCal by Northwest 2||October 26, 2019||Northwest|
|Big Peach Invitational||November 23, 2019||South|
|Crescent City Invitational||December 7, 2019||Southwest|
|Long Beach Invitational||December 7, 2019||West|
|Heroes vs Villians Invitational||January 18, 2020||West|
|Midwest Winter Fantasy VII||January 25, 2020||Great Lakes|
|Brooms on the Brazos||January 25, 2020||Southwest|
|New Kids on the Block: Hoot & Howdy Brawl||February 29, 2020||South|
|North Texas Mini series 2- Electric Boogaloo||February 29, 2020||Southwest|
2018-19 SANCTIONED EVENTS
|Crimson Cup V||September 22, 2018||West|
|Freshmen Fall Crawl||September 22, 2018||Mid-Atlantic|
|Turtle Cup VIII||September 29, 2018||Mid-Atlantic|
|Mid-Michigan Melee IV||September 29, 2018||Great Lakes|
|Chicago United Quidditch Invitational||October 6, 2018||Midwest|
|Norcal by Northwest||October 20, 2018||Northwest|
|Quaffle House Cup||November 10, 2018||Great Lakes|
|Anthill Funkdown IV||December 1, 2018||West|
|Heroes vs Villains II||January 19, 2019||West|
|O-Town Throwdown II: A Midsummer Knight's Carnage||January 26, 2019||South|
|MidWest Winter Fantasy VI||February 2, 2019||Great Lakes and Midwest|
|Founder's Cup (of Gold)||February 16, 2019||Mid-Atlantic|
|4th Annual Tri-River Tournament||February 23, 2019||Mid-Atlantic|
2017-18 SANCTIONED EVENTS
|Turtle Cup VII||September 30, 2017||Mid-Atlantic|
|Crimson Cup IV||September 30, 2017||West|
|Turner Valley Challenge Event||October 7, 2017||Mid-Atlantic|
|6th Annual Lumberjack Invitational||October 21, 2017||West|
|Monmouth Open||October 21, 2017||Mid-Atlantic|
|Cavalier Cup||October 28, 2017||Mid-Atlantic|
|The Golden Bear Invitational||October 28, 2017||West|
|Long Beach Invitational||November 17, 2017||West|
|The 1st Annual Lucien Weiss Invitational||December 2, 2017||West|
|Alamo Cup IV||January 27, 2018||Southwest|
|Heroes vs Villains Invitational||January 27, 2018||West|
|Midwest Winter Fantasy V||January 27, 2018||Midwest|
|Anthill Smackdown III: The Last Seeker||February 10, 2018||West|
|The Fourth Annual Founder's Cup (of Gold)||March 17, 2018||Mid-Atlantic|
|Falcon Cup||March 31, 2018||Great Lakes|
|The Harry Greenhouse Memorial Invitational||March 31, 2018||Mid-Atlantic|
2016-17 Sanctioned Events
|Northeast Regional Fantasy||August 6, 2016||Northeast|
|West Fantasy||August 6-7, 2016||West|
|Crimson Cup III||September 24, 2016||West|
|Turtle Cup VI||October 8, 2016||Mid-Atlantic|
|Keystone Cup III||October 8, 2016||Mid-Atlantic|
|Midwest Warmup||October 22-23, 2016||Midwest|
|Lone Star Invitational||December 3, 2016||Southwest|
|Threaux Me Something Mister Quidditch Expeaux||December 3, 2016||Southwest|
|Midwest Winter Fantasy IV||January 28, 2017||Midwest|
|Heck in a Tote Bag Classic||March 4, 2017||Mid-Atlantic|
|Roanoke Harry Potter Festival||May 13, 2017||Mid-Atlantic|
2015-16 Sanctioned Events
|Gruesome Twosomes Summer Fantasy||July 18, 2015||Northeast|
|New Jersey Fantasy Tournament||August 15, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|
|Turtle Cup||September 26, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|
|Spooky Spectacular||October 4, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|
|Keystone Cup II||October 10, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|
|Cowboy Cup V||October 10, 2015||Southwest|
|Wolf Pack Classic IV||October 17, 2015||Southwest|
|Keep Quidditch Weird||December 5, 2015||Northwest|
|New Jersey Round Robin III||December 11, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|
|Anthill Smackdown||January 16, 2016||West|
|Scottish Highland Games||January 16-17, 2016||South|
|Midwest Winter Fantasy||January 23, 2016||Midwest|
|Bat City Showcase||January 30, 2016||Southwest|
|Dan Hanson Invitational III||January 30-31, 2016||West|
|Cat City Invitational||March 5, 2016||Northeast|
|NCQC Community Finale||March 19, 2016||West|
|St. Mary's Tournament||May 6, 2016||Mid-Atlantic|
2014-15 Sanctioned Events
|Oktoberfest Invitational||October 11, 2014||Northeast|
|3rd Annual Diamond Cup||October 11, 2014||Southwest|
|The Keystone Cup||October 18, 2014||Mid-Atlantic|
|Cowboy Cup IV||October 18, 2014||Southwest|
|3rd Annual Wolf Pack Classic||October 25, 2014||Southwest|
|South Bay Spookfest||October 25, 2014||West|
|Northeast Classic||October 25-26, 2014||Northeast|
|Renegade Cup||November 15, 2014||South|
|Next Best West 2||November 22, 2014||West|
|Snow Cup V||January 2-3, 2015||West|
|Scottish Highland Games||January 17, 2015||South|
|The L.A. Open||January 17-18, 2015||West|
|Midwest Winter Fantasy II||February 7, 2015||Midwest|
|Alamo Cup||February 7, 2015||Southwest|
|Dan Hanson Invitational II||March 14, 2015||West|
|Midwest Fantasy: Pre-Split edition||June 6-7, 2015||Midwest|
|2nd Annual Steel City Fantasy Tournament||June 13, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|
|West Fantasy 2015||June 20-21, 2015||West|
|Gotta Train 'Em All 2||June 27, 2015||Mid-Atlantic|