Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Our sport is rooted in providing a safe space for people of all backgrounds to come together to compete. USQ wanted to take that a step further and ensure there was a group dedicated to creating initiatives in this area.
PILLARS FOR DEI WORK
USQ has identified seven pillars, also adopted by MLQ, for this season's diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work. These pillars are based off of main points shared in the key takeaways. These pillars will help guide and define the focus areas for action items moving forward.
- Equity: The fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all people, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups. The principle of equity acknowledges that there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations and that fairness regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to assist in the provision of adequate opportunities to all groups.
- Inclusion: The act of creating environments in which any individual or group can be and feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued as a fully participating member. An inclusive and welcoming climate embraces differences and offers respect in words and actions for all people.
- Leadership: The development of leaders in the quidditch community with a focus on uplifting the experiences of marginalized groups.
- Learning Opportunities: The creation of training and educational modules that foster a broader awareness of the experiences of marginalized groups as well as providing tools to put actions in place that create an inclusive environment.
- Recruitment/Retention: The process of actively welcoming members from marginalized groups into the sport, while also fixing problems and challenges that block their continued participation.
- Spotlight: The creation of social media and PR campaigns that focus attention on the experiences of marginalized groups.
- Safety: The creation of an environment in which everyone feels comfortable in expressing themselves and participating fully, without fear of attack, harassment, ridicule, or denial of experience. This includes in person and online spaces, and activites/programs that take place on and off the field.
To learn more about the terminology around DEI initiatives and programs, read this glossary of common terms from the University of Washington. We found their definitions, and the resources linked at the bottom of the glossary, helpful in developing the pillars above.
Next steps and progress on these action items can be found below. USQ will provide regular reports to the public on the progress of these action items. The next update will be posted in October.
|Member Services||Increase visibility and incorporation of gender pronouns||Inclusion, Learning Opportunities||Incorporate gender pronouns to member registration||85%||August 2020|
|Member Services||Census||Recruitment/Retention, Inclusion, Leadership||Begin to evaluate data||75%||September 2020|
|Communications||BIPOC features||Spotlight||Finished “Impact” feature. Focusing next on upcoming Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month||50%||September 2020|
|Gameplay||Rulebook 14 updates||Equity, Inclusion, Safety||Reviewed current rules and suggested rules. Starting to make changes to the rulebook||75%||September 2020|
|Member Services||Affinity groups||Inclusion, Equity, Learning Opportunities||Identify groups who will meet throughout the season and create meeting times||10%||September 2020|
|Office of the ED||Update of harassment policies||Safety, Equity||Evaluate current policy, research other NGB policies, make updates to policy and process||10%||September 2020|
|Communications||Livestream training program||Inclusion, Learning Opportunities, Spotlight||Finish DEI component of training program, create remainder of the program||25%||October 2020|
|Office of the ED||Board recruitment||Inclusion, Recruitment, Retention, Leadership||Continuing outreach to potential good candidates (application can be found here)||75%||October 2020|
|Office of the ED||Create a DEI resource page on the USQ website||Learning Opportunities||Identify topics to be covered on this webpage, research and gather resources||5%||October 2020|
|Events||Improve evaluation of safety for BIPOC members for event locations||Safety||Evaluate current event bidding process||15%||November 2020|
|Communications||Brand guidelines||Spotlight, Inclusion||Update USQ brand guidelines||15%||December 2020|
|Member Services||Creating and sharing training opportunities focused on anti-racism and implicit bias||Learning Opportunities||Research current training modules available, evaluate if a new module needs created||0%||December 2020|
|Communications, Member Services, Events||Incorporate more accessibility features for USQ media and resources||Inclusion, Equity||Evaluate current media and resources that can be improved||10%||December 2020|